If the dull substance of my flesh were thought,
如果我這笨拙的身體是思想,
Injurious distance should not stop my way; 殘酷的距離就不能把我阻擋;
For then, despite of space, I would be brought,
盡管千山萬水,層層阻隔,
From limits far remote, where thou dost stay.
我也會被帶到你的芳居。
No matter then although my foot did stand 縱然我與你天涯之隔,
Upon the farthest earth remov'd from thee;對我來說又有何妨?
For nimble thought can jump both sea and land,
既然輕靈的思想可以越山渡洋,
As soon as think the place where he would be.
心中一念便可到達你所在的地方。
But, ah! thought kills me that I am not thought,
可是,唉!思想毒殺著我,畢竟我不是思想,
To leap large lengths of miles when thou art gone , 在你離去之后,我并不能飛躍崇山,跨越海洋;
But that so much of earth and water wrought,我只是泥和水和成的鈍皮囊,
I must attend, time's leisure with my moan;徒勞地用悲泣嘆息服侍時光;
Receiving nought by elements so slow
這重濁之物毫無所賜,
But heavy tears, badges of either's woe.只剩眼淚,都是悲傷苦惱的標志。